You don’t need to starve to graduate! Please use this resource to help you find employment.
Aggie Job Link is a site where on-campus jobs are posted. Local businesses, such as restaurants, also tend to post here. A lot of the posts are geared toward undergraduates. If you’re looking for simple part-time work, check this site out. You are less likely to find a full-time job through this search. Here’s the log in page. You will need your official UC Davis Kerberos/CAS ID.
Here is a link that takes you to job postings specifically for graduate students. These are mostly TA and reader positions. The information here is just a conveniently curated selection from Aggie Job Link.
This site lists more serious, full-time jobs. Some are faculty positions, but a lot are for “junior specialist” roles, a position which includes working in the lab of a faculty member. You’ll need a Bachelor’s degree related to their field.
If you are applying for laboratory positions, you really need to tailor your resume for each laboratory. Read up on the investigator’s recent literature. A lot of the younger faculty members have updated websites that explain their recent projects. (Bingo!) Express why their projects are interesting to you in your cover letter. Don’t be intimidated if they use techniques you haven’t heard of before; they won’t assign something that’s too difficult for them to quickly teach.
Networking is the most necessary and the most evil of necessary evils, but it can be fun, especially if you start within the program. Talk to the other students. Most of them don’t bite.
Forensic Science students, past and present, have participated in the internships below. To apply, monitor the lab websites for announcements for open positions. Some labs accept applications in the fall for summer positions the following year.
- Drug Enforcement Administration, Student Career Experience Program (SCEP), DEA, Western Regional Lab
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Laboratory, Quantico, VA
- Perkin Elmer, San Jose, CA
- Redwood Toxicology Laboratory, Santa Rosa, CA
- Serological Research Institute (SRI) Richmond, CA
- Solano County Sheriff – Coroner’s Office, Fairfield, CA
- Yolo County Sheriff – Coroner’s Office, Woodland, CA
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Walnut Creek, CA
- Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory (AFDIL) Summer Internship Program, Dover, DE
- California Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Forensics Laboratory, Sacramento, CA
- California Department of Justice, California Criminalistics Institute (CCI), Rancho Cordova, CA
- Harris County Texas Institute of Forensic Sciences-Forensic Genetics Lab, Houston, TX
- Kern County Regional Crime Laboratory, Bakersfield, CA
- Sacramento County District Attorney Crime Laboratory, Sacramento, CA
- San Francisco Police Department, Homicide Detail, San Francisco, CA
- San Mateo County Coroner’s Office, San Mateo, CA
- San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department Laboratory, San Mateo, CA